Saturday, July 09, 2005

ooh - that's a nice picture



While browsing through the paintings on offer in the next Lawson-Menzies auction, I notice the above painting of a street scene with terrace houses. Referring to the gallery copy of the auction catalogue (I am too cheap to purchase my own copy at $15) it states that the painting is 'attributed' to Russell Drysdale. In 'fine-art land', this means that they think that it is by the artist, but they are not 100% sure, or something like that. Basically, it means that the auction house won't guarantee that it is by the artist, so if you later confirm that it is a fake there is no recourse you can take.

As I could never afford a confirmed drysdale oil, the possibility of picking one up cheaply is quite exciting. I enquire further. A young lady working for Lawson-Menzies tells me that their experts think that it is a Drysdale based on the colours and style, but because it is not signed they can't confirm it. Fair enough.

I take it down from the wall (after asking of course) and give it a closer inspection. After about 30 seconds I notice that in the lower right hand corner it is actually signed 'R. Drysdale'.


As well as being a small signature, it is signed in black paint on a dark background, so could the auction house have missed this? Or did they see it, and, for whatever reason, decide not to mention it? In any case, Im not going to be the one to point it out to them. I decide I'll have to do some research of my own.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home