Monday, July 11, 2005

Some initial research

I spent my lunch hour today in the Art Gallery's research library comparing a photo of the painting with Drysdale's known works, and also brushing up on my general knowledge of the artist. My thoughts at this stage are that there are some strong similarities in parts of this painting to some parts in his other works. For example, the clothes lines are similar to the clothes line in 'Sunday Afternoon' , the blue sky is similar to the sky in 'West Wyalongi', the red doors in the foreground are similar to the red in many of his paintings and the distinctive green colour is also found in 'The Cricketers' and 'Home Town'.

However, although parts of the painting can be related to parts of his known works, the painting as a whole can not be related to another work. I can't find any reference to another painting of an inner city street scene. I will hopefully be able to come back to the library during the week for some extra research.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home