Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Bayswater Road

A street sign in the painting appears to read 'Bayswater Road', so I decided that my research today should focus on this. Considering that the known paintings that are similar to this one are all painted from 1942-1944, and because Drysdale was living in Sydney at this time, I think that this 'Bayswater Road' is probably in Sydney. There are a few Bayswater Roads in Sydney, with the most likely suspect being the one in Kings Cross/Darlinghurst because Drysdale lived in nearby Rose Bay.

I take a drive down this road, to discover that it is nothing like the Bayswater Road in the painting. There are no terrace houses here, although it is possible that there were terrace houses here when the painting was painted. I will need to go to the state library to see if I can find some photos of what this street looked like in the 1940's.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home