Friday, August 05, 2005

Pricing gun sticker

All over the back of the painting there are small stickers that have come from a typical price gun, as well as a bigger sticker with the number 7708. This bigger sticker is white with red numbers and looks like it was from an auction house. It was not the same as the stickers that they use at Lawson-Menzies, and for now I will assume that it is a sticker put on there by Deutscher-Menzies. This is where I was told the painting came from. It may have passed in at a Deutscher-Menzies auction, then given to their subsidiary company, Lawson-Menzies, where it was bought by me. I must get to Deutscher-Menzies just to confirm if this is one of their stickers.

Anyway, getting back to the smaller 'price gun' stickers. There is about 10 of them, all the same, with the number '117104 1' with a big gap between the '4' and the '1'. Until now I had no idea what this meant or who put them on there. Today I attended the general weekly auction at Lawsons in Annadale, which is another division of the same auction house that deals with general goods, deceased estates, furniture and other bric-abrac. On the items for auction here, as well as the auction lot number (not in the same style as the '7708' on my painting) they have the same price sticker with numbers in the similar format - ie. six numbers, then a big space, then a final number. In addition, they are stuck on in a similar fashion to the painting - lots of them, stuck randomly on the object.

I think this number refers to the seller of the item, so I hope to take it into Lawsons next week and ask them about it. With this new information, it is looking likely that this painting originally came into the auction house through Lawsons in Annandale. I'll give up persuing Lawsons-Menzies for extra information, and see what information I can get through Lawsons in Annandale.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home