Friday, August 12, 2005

The lost roads - Bayswater Avenue

My previous theory on the location of the scene in the painting was that it must be on Bayswater Road in Kings Cross / Darlinghurst. This is beacause a street sign in the painting says 'Bayswater..' then something illegible. After finding only Bayswater Road in the current street directory I assumed that this must be it, but what bothered me was that Bayswater road had always been a very wide, busy road, with trams running down it, whereas the painting depicts a smaller road, or even a back lane.

In the state library of nsw today I found a couple of old street directories from 1942 and 1950, which show that at these times there were two different Bayswater Avenues - one in the middle of Kings Cross off Bayswater Road, and one a bit further down in Darlinghurst off McLaughlin street. At some stage between 1950 and today these streets have been reclaimed and lost forever. However, my spirits have been lifted with this discovery because the size of these streets is more consistent with the painting. After arriving back home, I had another look at the street sign in the painting under the magnifying glass, and could definately make out an 'A' after 'Bayswater'. Now the next step is to see if I can find if a corner store existed on either of these Bayswater Avenues.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home